HEADTEACHER, FULL-TIME, PERMANENT
Starting Date: 1 January 2022
ST. MICHAEL’S C.E. PRIMARY SCHOOL, DALSTON, CARLISLE, CUMBRIA
Tel: 01228 711544
Salary: Group 2 for England (£50,151 - £68,347)
Reporting to: Chairs of Governors
We have an exciting opportunity for an inspiring and forward-thinking individual to lead our school on the next stage of our journey. Our headteacher will be a driven leader who will build on existing successes and uphold the distinctive Christian character of St. Michael’s. A passion for primary education and the value of developing children in a creative and caring environment is essential. We strive to provide an aspirational learning environment where pupils and staff feel happy, safe and supported.
We can offer:
- a highly professional, dedicated and friendly team, as well as a supportive governing body, all fully committed to the on-going development of the school;
- a warm and welcoming community with children who are proud of their school and who are enthusiastic to learn;
- an ambitious and exciting curriculum with particular strengths in English and Maths;
- a dedicated Home and School Association that supports our school community raising substantial funds to help the school;
- well-kept and well-equipped school premises and grounds with extensive outdoor facilities and plans to develop a forest school area.
- be an inspirational leader with the vision to drive the school forward to achieve our ambitions;
- demonstrate a strong empathy with our Christian values and ethos, as well as knowledge of the Church of England’s 'Vision for Education';
- be someone who can nurture and motivate each and every child to be the best that they can be;
- be an ambassador for our school, leading by example, inspiring staff, pupils, parents and the local community;
- be a strong communicator able to implement new ideas and effective strategies to continuously drive the School Improvement Plan forward;
- have up-to-date knowledge of national policies and statutory frameworks.
The school is based in the desirable village of Dalston, approximately 5 miles south-west of Carlisle and is highly popular in the area with 214 children currently on roll.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of our children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Appointment is subject to suitable references and a satisfactory enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Reference checks will be made prior to interview.
All posts involving direct contact with children are exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. However, amendments to the Exceptions Order 1975 (2013 and 2020) provide that certain spent convictions and caution are 'protected'. These are not subject to disclosure to employers and cannot be taken into account. Guidance and criteria on the filtering of these cautions and convictions can be found on the Ministry of Justice website.
Short-listed candidates will be asked to complete a self-disclosure form to provide details of all unspent convictions and those that would not be filtered or protected, prior to the date of the interview. Your application may be withdrawn if you fail to complete and return this form. You may be asked for further information about your criminal history during the interview and, if your application is successful, this self-disclosure information will be checked against information from the Disclosure & Barring Service before your appointment is confirmed.
Visits to the school are warmly welcomed and will take place after 3.30pm due to Covid restrictions. Please contact Mrs Carol McDonald, Clerk to the Governors, on 01228 711544 on or after Monday 19 April (when school reopens after the Easter holidays) to arrange a suitable date and time.
The application pack, Cumbria County Council application form and a video of our school can be found below.
Completed applications, with a covering letter of no more than two sides of A4, should be emailed to email@example.com
Closing date: Monday 10 May 2021 at 12pm
Shortlisting date: Monday 24 May 2021
Interviews: Tuesday 15 and Wednesday 16 June 2021